Journal Copy

1897 - Like Tinder…

On April 23, 1897, a large kerosene lamp exploded in the shop of Gilbane Brothers on Centre Street. The entire building was engulfed in flames. A small amount of lumber stored across the street was all that remained. Losses exceeded the insured amount. Thankfully the company’s books were locked in a fireproof safe and were not destroyed in the fire. This tragedy did not stop the brothers and their company. The company went straight back to work to ensure that their customers were not affected.