Altria Corporate Headquarters
Gilbane is the construction manager for the new addition and renovation of the corporate headquarters of one of the largest employers in Richmond.
Breathing new life into a historic landmark and simultaneously
building the future
On the National Register of Historic Places, the 250,000 SF headquarters was originally constructed in 1958 and renovated in 2003 and contains four floors and a small penthouse. The modernization consists of a new 170,000 SF addition to the headquarters building, a parking deck and the renovation of the existing building. Additional surface parking and a new parking deck will also be incorporated into the property. The 170,000 SF corporate headquarters addition is a separate structure designed and constructed to respect the historical elements of the original headquarters building, designed by Charles Gillette.
The parking deck will be two stories above grade with capacity for 390 cars and include curtainwall and precast architectural panels. It will connect to the headquarters via a bridgeway. The new parking deck is being constructed directly adjacent to an existing elementary school, placing a high-level of emphasis on safety and logistics. The third component of the project is the major historic renovation of the existing headquarters building. This will include selective demolition and renovation of the entire second and third floor interior spaces and portions of the first floor and lower level. Some exterior and landscape improvements will also be included.