Henry J Carter Specialty Hospital and Skilled Nursing Facility
Integrated Project Delivery Approach Achieves Success for Accelerated Schedule Requirements
Gilbane provided construction management services for the New York City Economic Development Corporation (EDC) and New York City Health & Hospitals Corporation’s (HHC) “Road Ahead” program that delivered a renovated 201-bed Long Term Acute Care Hospital, a new 164-bed, six- story Skilled Nursing Facility and de-commissioning services of the existing Goldwater facility. Gilbane managed the removal, transportation, and delivery of all furniture, and fixed medical equipment, as well as patient and staff moves from Roosevelt Island to the new Harlem location.
After EDC /HHC expressed the need to accelerate the completion timeline by one year, the project shifted from a traditional approach to the Integrated Project Delivery (IPD) approach. Using IPD and the principles of Lean Construction, the integrated team focused on aligning project scope, budget, construction and move management schedules and expectations to maximize efficiency and minimize waste.
Project strategies included:
- Collaboration and co-location of team for BIM and 3D modeling
- 3D modeling for trade coordination
- Use of models for procurement and fabrication
- Pull planning strategies and weekly meetings
- Transparent communications
- Laser surveys to determine precise existing conditions
- Web-based procurement through i.Bidpro
- Project controls via Gilbane’s Smartapp system
- BIM 360 systems and tablets used by field team for “real time” response to site conditions and RFIs.
Shifting the approach to IPD allowed the project team to successfully turn a 36 month construction schedule into 18 months and deliver a successful complex project over to our client.