City of Riviera Beach Redevelopment
Gilbane Oversees Massive Urban Redevelopment Effort Designed to Reshape Riviera Beach’s Downtown Community
Marine District South Redevelopment
As the owner representative for City of Riviera Beach Community Redevelopment Agency (CRA), Gilbane oversaw and managed the process to implement the CRA’s redevelopment initiatives for the Marine District South project. The city-owned marina was the centerpiece of the redevelopment initiatives, with a vision to provide public access to the waterfront, featuring restaurants, retail, office and public spaces as well as majestic views of Florida’s Intracoastal Waterway and Atlantic Ocean. The overall development project consisted of a parking garage, civic center, open market, restaurant, hardscape and landscape and reconstruction of the marina. The first phase included a two-story 37,000 square-foot Marina Events Center and operations building, Bicentennial Park and concert pavilion, and development of a three-acre community park.
Our program management services included:
- Interviewing the Design and Construction Management Candidates
- Assisting in negotiating contracts
- Overseeing the permitting process
- Collaboration with the team on value engineering ideas, preconstruction
- Establishment of local subcontractor procurement and the purchasing process
- Ensuring strict adherence to the project schedule
- Maximizing local and MBE participation
- Lessons learned experience with Program Management and Public Municipalities
- Management of cash flow
Maximizing Local and Minority Subcontractor Involvement
Gilbane managed the extensive process of prequalification and outreach to the local subcontractor market by performing local workshops, assisting local MBE and SBE firms in becoming qualified to perform scopes of work, and right-sizing scopes of work to allow more firms the chance to bid on the project. By performing these scope development and outreach tasks, the project was able to exceed all MBE, SBE, and local participation goals. Additionally, Gilbane implemented a local apprenticeship involvement program to educate local citizens in the construction trades.