New Project Announcement: Illinois Institute of Technology Armour Institute Historic Adaptive Reuse for MCM Development
The Gilbane|Bowa joint venture was selected to provide construction management services for MCM Development partnered with Washington Park Development Group to renovate and adapt the historic Armour Institute Building.
Designed by Patten & Fisher in 1881 and built in 1883, the building is one of Chicago’s finest examples of Richardsonian Romanesque Architecture. The school became IIT in 1939 and took its place as a modern architectural powerhouse under Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, who designed much of the campus which is on the National Register of Historic Places. The building was originally home to the Armour Institute, a technological trade school financed by Philip D. Armour of Armour and Company Meatpacking fame.
The building made the list of Chicago’s 7 Most Endangered Historical Buildings in 2015. IIT is partnering with the developers to restore this de facto South Side Landmark rising up across the Dan Ryan Expressway from the Chicago White Sox Stadium. Features of the facility which historically housed classrooms and offices include large stained glass windows, as well as intricate ornaments and carvings along the façade. Plans include 102 one-bedroom apartments, a fitness center, community room and green rooftop deck to be one of the first market-rate rental developments in the Bronzeville neighborhood.