Northern California construction operations are based out of San Jose, Concord, Rancho Cordova and San Francisco.
Gilbane’s lead federal international construction operations unit is located in Concord, CA, and staffs over 80 professionals who are active on projects world-wide. This specialized group is uniquely qualified to provide global construction, environmental, fuels, and energy conservation services to support U.S. federal government clients globally. Experience at over 150 world-wide military bases and installations, allows us to demonstrate our understanding of local concerns, multi-state national and host country government regulations, and the ability to rapidly mobilize personnel and equipment to meet critical client deadlines and respond to emergencies. Representative Federal and International Projects include:
- Aberdeen Public Health Command Laboratory -The Design Bid Build project includes the construction of more than 275,000 sf modern, consolidated medical research laboratory consisting of wet labs, field labs, vivarium under Good Laboratory Practices, offices, warehouses and a central utility plant. The facility includes Anechoic Chambers, Insectary Chamber, and Laser Labs.
- Israel Multiple Award Task Order Contract – $249.5 Million Indefinite Delivery Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) contract for various military installations in Israel. Gilbane will provide repair, maintenance, design and construction services for Israel Ministry of Defense facilities
- Design-Build Project at King Khalid Air Base in Saudi Arabia – $166 Million design-build construction project at King Khalid Air Base for the Royal Saudi Air Force in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) by the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD).
- Vandenberg Building 7000 – $65.5 Million contract (when all options are exercised) for renovating Building 7000 in order to facilitate the consolidation of the Joint Space Operations Center (JSpOC), the 14th Air Force, and the Joint Force Component Command (JFCC SPACE) on Vandenberg Air Force Base (VAFB).
- Design- Build Projects for Construction of Medical Facilities -awarded four major medical facilities projects for a total of $120 million. These four projects are design-build construction task orders at multiple locations around the United States. Highlights of these projects are featured below.
- Former Fort Ord Military Reservation, Monterey, CA – $65 Million, 5-year task order for removal of Munitions and Explosives of Concern (MEC) removal and soil and groundwater remediation project. Client: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE)
- Hunter’s Point Naval Station Shipyard, San Francisco, CA – For 20 years we’ve partnered with the Navy to provide , services focused on environmental, chemical and radiological remediation services on various Hunter’s Point projects. The latest project of these encompassed environmental remediation totaling $11.2 million for the environmental transportation and disposal and/or recycling of an estimated 28,750 tons of soil, 15,000 tons of creosote wood debris, 3,500 tons of miscellaneous construction debris, and 25 drums of waste water. Client: US Navy Facilities Engineering Command (NAVFAC)
- Saipan and Rota International Airports, U.S. Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands – Gilbane performed design-build renovations of existing inspection facilities at these two international airports to meet Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Customs and Border Protection (CBP), and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) design and security standards. This was the first international airport project funded by DHS/CBP and they trusted Gilbane to execute it. The project located on a remote and austere island included challenging logistical requirements and required barging in most materials, sometimes under adverse weather and sea conditions. Phasing construction allowed us to maintain ongoing operations at both the Saipan and the Rota airports during construction. Client: US Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
- Pol-E Charki Prison Expansion, Kabul, Afghanistan – $70+ million Pol-E Charki prison expansion, the largest prison in Afghanistan. Gilbane achieved well over 3 Million Safe Man Hours, with no lost time or recordable injuries on this project demonstrating Gilbane’s and our subcontractor VICC’s dedication to safe practices and preventative measures on projects worldwide. Our team of 20 Gilbane staff and 1,200 Afghan subcontractor personnel worked together to maintain our unwavering commitment to a safe work force and completed the project ahead of field schedule. Congratulations to this team who puts the Gilbane Cares motto foremost in its day-to-day operations. Client: Client: US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE)
- Tsunami Emergency Pipeline Repairs, Defense Fuel Supply Point Hachinohe, Japan – This project was mobilized at Defense Fuel Support Point (DFSP) Hakozaki when the Pacific coast of Tōhoku was devastated by a 9.1-magnitude earthquake and subsequent tsunami. Japan’s Hachinohe Terminal sustained heavy damage, preventing fuel transfers to Misawa Air Base (AB) and hampering emergency and relief operations. Tasked by the U.S. Navy, the Gilbane team performed emergency post-tsunami API 653 and API 570 inspections of Hachinohe Terminal, including fuel transfer piping, connections, and supports; storage tanks; and electrical components. Client: US Navy Facilities Engineering Command (NAVFAC)
- United States Air Forces in Europe (USAFE), Headquarters Renovation, Ramstein Air Force Base, Germany – Gilbane recently completed a $30M Headquarters USAFE Renovation that included two Sensitive Compartmented Information Facilities (SCIFs) ahead of schedule while exceeding customer expectations. During the final week of the project, our successes were discussed and shared with our client, which led to a celebratory beer shared with the entire team at the Officers’ Club. While the Officers’ Club is only a minute-and-a-half away, it took two years and a lot of hard work and dedication to finally make our way into the building.
For more information on Gilbane’s California locations and worldwide projects, visit Locations.
Building More Support for Our Military Troops and our Community
At Gilbane, our team members are proud to be building more than buildings by participating in community and industry organizations that support our troops and local organizations. Team donations support Toys for Tots, the Food Bank, Project Linus, One Warm Coat, the Humane Society, Operation Warm Heart, American Red Cross, Holiday Mail for Heroes, and many more. In addition, we support sustainable practices, not only by designing to LEED standards but by supporting events like “Bike to work day”.
As part of our commitment to small business utilization, current efforts are underway to formalize mentor protégé relationships under the SBA Mentor Protégé program. We are always looking for new small business subcontractors to join our community. Learn more about our Small Business Outreach Programs.
Is Gilbane a fit for you?
Are you focused on teamwork? Do you display, an unwavering dedication to excellence and superior project execution? Do you conduct yourself with integrity above all else? Then Gilbane may be the perfect fit for you. We proudly continue to expand our construction, environmental and fuels operations with pride and integrity. Join the Gilbane Family
Our dedication, combined with a little sense of adventure, has earned us a reputation as one of a the top experts in our field.
Tej Singh, Executive Vice President