The hallmark of a design/build project is where a single firm is responsible for both design and construction of a project. The design/builder contracts directly with the subcontractors and is fully responsible for the delivery of the project.
Gilbane’s typical design/build approach is to have the owner select a design/builder/ CM working on a professional fee basis who can implement many of the advantages of construction management along with design/build such as:
- Early project cost guarantee
- Open book exposure of subcontractor costs
- Optimal scope change advocacy on behalf of the owner
- Shared savings with a guaranteed maximum price option
This eliminates any concern that the owner may have with splitting contract responsibilities, by creating CM/builder and designer with capabilities tailored to the project. Design/build is best suited for clients who want the simplicity of a single source or have new or renovation projects that are highly schedule driven so it can most readily fast-track if required.
Benefits of Design/Build:
- Single point of responsibility for design and construction
- Fastest schedule delivery
- Early identification of guaranteed cost